26 January 2015

production role in the film opening- Camera Person

My production role in the film opening would be of a camera person. According to my research my main tasks would be to:

  • ·        Read and digest the script
  • ·        Discuss with the Director all aspects of the script
  • ·        Discuss style of shooting
  • ·        Recce all locations
    ·        Review all set plans
  • ·        Determine technical details such as – where tracks are to be laid, size of crane or dolly. 
  • ·        Determine type of heads – remote, fluid, geared or hand-held and tripods or tracking vehicle.
  • ·        Shoot camera and lens tests
  • ·        Check for any off-set items that may have crept onto the set such as lamp stands, cables and unwanted props or crew personal possessions.
  • ·        Rehearse the scene and fine tune all camera moves.
  • ·        Shooting involves the Operator looking through the eyepiece, panning and tilting the camera to follow the action.
  • ·        After each take the Operator will be able to say or should say to the Director whether or not the shot was good technically.
  • ·        As the Operator is the member of the crew who looks through and operates the camera he or she must be fully conversant with any type of head.
  • ·        The essence of film-making is team work and the Camera Operator is right in the middle of it all, so he should be a good communicator
  • ·        Check all the shots after filming to make sure it was fine.                                                            

Why did I choose this role?
·        I chose this role because it was a new experience for me and I enjoyed doing it when I played this role in my preliminary exercise. It is one of the most important roles in the production process and I think I would be able to do it very well.